Utility Complaint Options

Residential ratepayers who have complaints with their public utilities have many options they may wish to pursue, both directly with the utility and also with the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC).  The customer can start their complaint with either the utility or the MPSC, or contact both at the same time. If one avenue appears to “dead end”, there are usually appeals processes that can still be taken.  The complaint can be over a billing amount or any other matter.  Click HERE to activate the hyperlinks in the following flowchart.

Click here for PDF version

If you experience a long power outage or other chronic poor service conditions you have the right to request a credit on your bill. You can learn more by clicking HERE (see “Part 4”, beginning on page 6).  Senator Colbeck especially encourages people living in the greater Plymouth area to take advantage of this little utilized consumer protection.

To view a copy of DTE’s customer resource guide, please click HERE.